Wednesday, March 1, 2023

From Days Gone By March 7,1925

 March 7, 1925.
    Mr. J. H. McWhorter who was postmaster here before the late J. F. Renfroe, was appointed that position again. Otis M. and Pauline Denton filed for divorce. Miss Opal Preston wed Mr. A. D. Snell, youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. Beve Snell. On Feb. 12th Mr. & Mrs. W. T. Brantley lost their little girl, Bessie Blanche. She was buried at Beulah. Mr. James J. Snell died at 68 and was buried in the family cemetery.
    Ernest Rich, the white Sawyer for Rowland Saw Mill who was wounded in the duel with Deotis Heath has died. He was taken home to Soperton and buried at Harmony Church. Most likely Heath will not be charged.
    M. F. Drake, L. C., seized a 19 model Ford Roadster that was used to transport whiskey into the county and had whiskey in it when seized. The owner is unknown. It will be sold at public auction.
    Court opened Friday in the Tanner-Tarbutton commitment trial. Justice's Wheeler, Williams and Harrison disqualified themselves from hearing the case. Court was recessed till after lunch to give Sheriff Claxton time to find another Judge. Three were seated, Judges Jim Miller, Jim T. Drake and T. I. Pope.
    Lewis Stephens was the first witness called. The court house never held a crowd this large. Many left because they couldn't get inside. Tanner remained in jail. Rawlings was released but stayed in court.
    The only evidence put up Saturday morning was a statement by Mr. C. G. Rawlings. The defendant said, in part:
    "Gentlemen, I don't know exactly what to say. That day when I got the reports I went to Gus Tarbutton's, he wasn't home. I went to the mill with Fluker where Gus was eating his lunch.  He then got in the car, we both asked Fluker to go but his teeth bothered him and didn't feel well. Gus told Fluker to tell his wife he wouldn't be back for sometime, then we left for Tanner's house. His wife or daughter said he had gone to dig the holes we had told him to dig down on the river. Then we went on to the place. When there we blowed the horn. Gus was reading over the analysis when Tanner came up. We all walked back, I was behind them. When we got to the first hole, Gus got in the hole getting samples, Tanner stood on one side and I on the other. Gus handed Tanner his hand and got out. About that time Alexander came up and introduced himself to Gus. They talked land lines and timber lease and then Alexander moved on. Another thing brought out yesterday about insurance. I owed a good deal of money and owed a good deal since 1920 and those policies were taken out to help mine and His credit. He suggested taking them out, not me. There was nobody in the world that thought more of Gus Tarbutton than I did, not a man living (here Rawlings broke down and wept) I raised him, I was his guardian when he was a boy growing up, that's about all I know about it. When this took place we were going down a hill and Gus was ahead, Tanner next then me. I'm not sure how far behind I was cause I can't walk good. Mr. Tanner remarked to me just before the gun fired he said, "Mr. Charlie don't you fall coming down this hill". I was looking where I was walking and heard the gun fire and I looked and saw Tanner on the ground and Gus was falling."

No comments:

Post a Comment