Thursday, August 8, 2019

From Days Gone By August 13, 1921

August 13, 1921.
   The following is two poems written in 1921 by local citizens.
                          REFLECTIONS OF BOYHOOD

The joys of my boyhood were many,
     Its sorrows were fleeting and few;
I was rich if I had but a penny,
    What other boys did I could do.

I swam in the waters of Ogeechee
    And dived in the current beneath,
But life by one thing was made dreary---
    I never could spit through my teeth.

Of the games of the school I was pitcher
    Could slide on my belly to third;
No youngster in marbles was richer;
    I could make a kite sail like a bird.

Mine, too, was the glorious treasure
    That innocent amusement bequeath;
But one thing still clouded my pleasure-
    I never could spit through my teeth.

Oh, time has brought serious sorrows,
    (some day I may smile at them, too)
I have dreaded to see some tomorrows
    With troublesome notes falling due.

But though fortune should greet me hereafter
    And fame should award her best wreath,
One thought will obstrude on my laughter,
    I never could spit through my teeth.

Moral- Never permit small things to mar great pleasures.
                                           L. B. L.

Coffins have no pockets for money
    Dead men carry no gold,
Brother get right with God,
    Or you will lose your soul.

Man may have jewels and diamonds
    And all this world can give,
Brother get right with God
    Or your soul can never live.

Man in the service of Satan
    Playing with cards and dice,
Brother get right with God
    Or your soul will pay the price.

He gave the greatest gift could
    Have been given to man
In heaven or upon the land,
    He came to this world which
Was in a bad plight
    To save those who came to
Him alright.
             Rev. Carlos Renfroe

No comments:

Post a Comment