Saturday, January 28, 2017

FROM DAYS GONE BY Jan. 24, 1919

January 24, 1919.

A French lady expresses deepest sympathy to the parents of LT. Asbury Hall's parents at Adrian.
Dear Sir and Madam Hall: Your letter dated October 18th 1918, has come to confirm a report which came to me indirectly from a Washington paper which a non commissioned officer knowing LT. Hall brought me. I had in spite of all preserved a vague hope of seeing your son when your letter came to me.
Today I am carrying out his wishes, for I made him the promise to correspond with his family in case death overtook him. How can we, Dear Sir and Madam Hall, express to you our deep attachment and our friendship for your son, and how can we but express our admiration for this hero? Our deepest regrets are for him, and an excellent likeness recalls his memory to us. He fell courageously and nobly, having fought for the liberty of the nations.
Also, sir, I wish I could give you the information that you ask of me to know where your son fell, but it is difficult for me, for since the 12th of August we have had no news. I made a request of the bureau of his company, but they told me that the office of information in America was responsible for informing you. If I can gather any information I will communicate it to you immediately. If you are informed where the body of your son may be found I beg that you let me know, for it would perhaps be possible for me to visit his grave. I am entirely at your service in any circumstances that you might have need of my assistance.
Perhaps you would like to know how we knew your son. I will give the details: June 27th, 1918, the regiment of LT. Hall came to camp at Lambin, 18 kilometers south of Blois. Every morning LT. Hall while inspecting the troops in the cantonment would speak always, seeking an opportunity to learn the French language. So it was that at the end of some days we became excellent friends and he had a large place in our family. He loved to confide in us his joys, his fears, even his griefs, for he suffered because he far from his family.
It was a great comfort to him to have French friends. Everyday I prepared his evening meal for him, always trying to make it pleasant for him, for I loved to see him bright and not sad and lonely. But also your son did so many kindnesses to us, and how could we fail to love him with his big heart and soul, having myself suffered much in this sad war which is causing so much of sorrow, I could sympathize with his griefs and his joys and he called me his little French sister. His memory will never leave our family. The afternoon of August 8th the order came to his regiment that morning of the 9th LT. Hall must leave Lambin and go to reinforce the front. This sad day and for him unfortunate day, he was nervous, excited and having fears for his future, and knowing my friendship for him he confided to my care a trunk containing some prized objects as souvenirs for his loved ones, begging me to return it to Mrs. Hall, his mother, if he should fall on the field of honor.
In case the contrary LT. Hall would come to get his trunk before his departure for America. At the same time he entrusted to me two letters, one for Miss Hall and one for Messrs. Hall, his brothers. I send you today these two letters with mine since such was his desire. The bureau of his regiment has, today, November 22nd, had removed his trunk which Mr. Asbury had entrusted to me, urging the necessity of doing this in order to return the baggage to you through the American Express. For this reason the demand for $1, which your son's letter contains, is unnesscary and you will not have to pay for the sending of it.
In closing Dear Sir and Madam Hall I wish to report to you that I am entirely at your service, and if through the American Government you learn before I where is laid the body of our regretted friend will you have the kindness to let me know it? I live 300 kilometers from the front, but it would be a great comfort to me to be able to go to place a wreath of flowers on this grave dug for a child of America on French soil. Believe dear Mr. & Madam in the expression of sincere sentiments and in the assurance of my most heartfelt sympathy.
Madam France Pinion, Lambin, Loir-et-cheer, France.

No comments:

Post a Comment