Thursday, June 2, 2016

FROM DAYS GONE BY May 24, 1918

May 24, 1918.
Robert L. Rogers, Ambulance Company 327 at Camp Gordon writes a letter home to Johnson County.
"I have been in the service nearly four months and like it better every day. I believe I am in one of the greatest works of the entire army, the medical corps. Our work when we cross, if we ever do, will be to care for the wounded soldiers. My company is expected to go any time.
I earnestly ask each one of my friends of old Johnson County that prays, to always remember me in their prayers that wherever I go, that I may do whatsoever God would have me do, and may His will be done and not mine. I also ask each one of you whenever you have a chance to help the Red Cross or Y. M. C. A., to do your part, for you can't imagine how much good they are to us boys unless you could spend some time here in camps.
The Y. M. C. A., has a Sabbath School class at 9:30 each Sunday morning, also we have sermons each Sunday, and some kind of entertainment most every night. And without the Red Cross nurses the army would be a failure, so let me ask you again to give to each whenever you have a chance.
Let me say to each church member, each Sunday School worker and each member of any religious society to do your very best. If there was ever a time when much work and prayer was needed it is now. So if you have been backward or unconcerned, let me beg you to start today, and strive to do your very best, for the field is ripe for harvest.
To the Woodmen of the World, I wish to say that I do appreciate what you all are doing for me, and how much I would like to be back with you all again.
Listen, I would be glad to hear from each and every one of my friends in old Johnson County. A letter from home does me so much good. Asking you all again to pray for me, that I may do my duty at all times. I am as B. 4. Private Robert L. Rogers."

POEMS THAT WILL LIVE

Some people were made to be soldiers,
And the Irish were made to be cops;
Sauerkraut was made for the Germans,
And spaghetti was made for the Wops.
Fish were made to drink water,
And men were made to drink booze;
Banks were made to hold money,
And beds were made for a snooze,
Everything was made for something,
There's even a use for a miser;
God made Wilson for President,
But who in the hell made the Kaiser?

No comments:

Post a Comment