Tuesday, June 5, 2012

From Days Gone By June 5, 1913

June 5, 1913.
    After an illness of several months of cancer, Dr. James Washington Flanders died at his home in Wrightsville last wednesday night, May 28th, surrounded by his immediate family. While his death was not unexpected by those who looked after him for so long, it was a surprise to many to learn that he was dead. Dr. Flanders was a native of Johnson County and one of the oldest and prominent citizens of Wrightsville. He was of strong character and honorable in his dealings with his fellow man. In the science of surgery and medicine he was a scholar of the old school and stood high in his profession.
    He was a surgeon in the Confederate army under Gen. Bragg in Western Tennessee and was captured with his command at the seige of Vicksburg. After four years of serving his country and helping the suffering soldier, he came home to start anew. He retired from practice 20 years ago. He was 74 years old at his death and survived by his wife and three daughters, Mrs. Perkins, Mrs. H. Burch and Mrs. Geo. Cochran; four sons, J., John, A. D., and A. F. Flanders. He was buried at Westview.
   We had quite a wind storm here on saturday afternoon, with more or less rain. On H. T. Downs' place the hail was pretty heavy and did serious damage to his young cotton and corn. On June 12th Mr. W. O. Russell of Texas will speak at the courthouse in the interest of Southern States Cotton Association, and its plan of selling cotton. Orianna High School held their closing exercises on May 30th. Wadley has a picnic at Idylwild today and Vidalia will hold a big event on the 10th.
    There will be an interesting ballgame held between the New Home Peaches and the Locus Grove team on next saturday p. m. Clarke will pitch for the Peaches and at the same time Page will receive the game in great style. The Locus Grove pitcher has not been announced. Billie Johnson and Frank Sinquefield went fishing at Sumners bridge and Billie says he caught more fish with hook and line than he ever caught before at one time.
    Mrs. R. R. Frost died at her home in the eastern part of the county on the 23rd and was buried at New Home. She was survived by her husband and several children. On the sick list is Mrs. D. G. Blount, Mrs. Kennedy, Mrs. B.B. Powell and Miss Bessie Burns.
    Veterans J. T. Snell and J. W. Snell attended the reunion of the Blue and Gray at Chattanooga. Jack Robinson owns and drives the sprightliest horse in this town. S. M. Johnson, Wrightsville's popular physician sustained quite a loss in the death of his valuable buggy horse, which had carried him many, many miles. Last monday the doctor was called to an out-of-town patient. While there the horse became suddenly ill and died "in harness" before anything could be done to relieve him. He regrets the loss of his faithful animal.

1 comment:

  1. My great grandfather, John Lynch Martin wrote a letter to my grandmother, Rosa Mary Martin Kennedy Barker on June 8, 1913. In his last paragraph he told her Dr. Flanders had died. I am so amazed at seeing this from 100 years ago! Donald, I am so enjoying reading "From Days Gone By". Below is the last paragraph of my great grandfather's letter telling her about Dr. Flanders:

    . Old Dr. J.W. Flanders died here last week – 74 years of age – just my age which will be on the 26th of next month – I can hardly realize that I am that age, but it’ll be true, and my time is fast nearing the end – and I am trying with the help of God to put my earthly house in order to meet the Savior, and I pray that I may be worthy to reach that beautiful heavenly house where I shall not only meet your dear mother, Aunt Nannie, and my parents & Kindred who have gone before me but my dear children and my grandchildren who will come after me and I want you to teach Frances, and instill it in her mind and heart to serve God in her youth so as she will not depart from the straight and narrow faith when she reaches to the state of womanhood – for if you neglect this your sacred duty to your child – then God will hold you responsible - besides, it will be the means of the child’s soul being lost forever – think seriously over what I say and then work to that end, and God will bless you & child forever - and see that you do this – for I love my children, my grandchildren, and I pray that after this short life here is over that we all may be reunited again in that upper and better world where there will be no more separation forever – I pray God to direct you and child - Well - I must now bring this long effort at letter writing to a close – for I am weak and worn out. Give my love to Nannie – Bryant and Frances, and tell her I received her little letter, and I was so glad that to hear that she was having such a pleasant time – let her enjoy all the innocent pleasures but you see that they are innocent and your teachings will be remembered long after you have passed away – Tell her I will write to her before long & to be a good & obedient girl and all will end well. I am feeling sick from medicines, and will now come to a close – Write me when you can – You afft (affectionate) father J L Martin

    ReplyDelete