Monday, April 5, 2010

From Days Gone By April 14,1911

April 14,1911. The court house grounds are looking better than ever this spring. The grass and hedge are growing finely and make the square quite attractive. The new opera house being built by E. A. W. Johnson will be named the Vivola. The name is formed from the first names of the two only daughters of Mr. Johnson, and is at once easy, pretty and catchy, and quite appropriate. He hopes to have it ready for next season. All businesses will close on monday, April 26th in observance of Confederate Memorial Day. G. W. Cochran was welcomed back as a permanent citizen here. Plenty of room here for all such men as he. The Peoples Hardware Company has just received two cars of Summers Barnesville Buggies. 'Nuff sed. Hope Strong left last week for Vidalia where he has accepted a position in the branch store established there by the Four Seasons Company of Dublin. The Mount Vernon Baptist Association will hold their Sunday School Convention at Mount Moriah church near Harrison. Judge A. F. Daley is confined to his home this week with rheumatisum. Wright Norris is quite sick with pneumonia. Also on the sick list this week were Wesley Brinson, Mr. C. H. Moore and Mrs. J. T. Tharpe. Dr. & Mrs. Thomas Lamar Harris announced the engagement of their daughter Emmie Hook, to Mr. William H. Strickland of Atlanta. Miss Harris is a 1907 graduate of Warthen College. Mr. Strickland works with the Southern Express Company of Atlanta. Mr. Robert Hardy Holmes of Live Oak, Florida announced the wedding of his daughter, Margaret, to Dr. James Gordon Brantley on May 10th at the methodist church in Live Oak. In Scott news Mr. J. L. Landers is sick. S. W. Rogers, one of our leading citizens and farmers, died at his home at 4am wednesday from pneumonia. Tom Wheeler has resigned his position at the telephone exchange and returned to Kite. He is suffering from rheumatisum. Plans are to erect a modern hotel in our town. We hope to see it completed by fall. The methodist church will soon be completed. The other night a young man who had been out fishing with a friend came running into Wrightsville and fell on the pavement with a small and harmless eel clutched in his hand, just back of its head, calling for help at the top of his voice. Mr. John Ausbon, who was on duty at the time, ran to his assistance and asked him what was the matter. His reply was that he had a lamp eel in his hand which had bitten him three times, and he had heard that if once bitten by one it was sure death. Mr. Ausbon assured him that the eel which he had was of the common, harmless variety; that all the damage done was done to the eel. The eel died; the young man recovered, but looks very feeble. J. R. Kelly writes on his first trip to Wrightsville "It was the year 1907, I had the pleasure of coming to the city of Wrightsville, and I was impressed with the little city and her people. And for nearly 3 years, it was my great pleasure to come this way. In 1909, I decided to cast my lot among the people of Wrightsville, in doing so, I have never yet had cause to regret. I will always rejoice that the hand of Providence guided me this way. To know the people of Wrightsville as I know them, there could not be anything in our heart but the purest love. On last friday night as I was siting out on my porch, I heard some voices singing. I said to my wife, isn't that sweet singing, and as the melody of that song in the 'Sweet By and By' made the welkin ring above the hills and valleys, in the little city of Wrightsville. It was hushed in front of my gate and there dismounted and began to unload of their bounties. Words fail me here to express my feelings of love and gratitude to such noble people. I could but only weep. I could only say from the very bottom of my heart, God bless the givers of those gifts. My prayers will ever be, that God will always bless these good people in the little city of Wrightsville.

No comments:

Post a Comment